Natural home remedies for Cold / Flu
People says there’s no cure for the common cold. While it is true that it can’t always be prevented, there are cures for the symptoms that come with a cold.
- Viral infection of the respiratory tract
- It can spread from an infected person to another through sneezing
- Allergic disorders
- Change in weather
- Body pain
- Sore throat
- Running nose
- Watery eyes
- The body Temperature touches 104°F
Cold and cough does not spare anyone and most of us stock cold medicine at home. Today, we look at different home remedies for cold and cough. These home remedies are natural and beneficial to the body to control the production of mucus, cleanse the system and boost immunity. Here 10 remedies to kick a cold and cough.
1. Milk and turmeric: Besides ginger tea or masala chai, warm milk and turmeric mixture is a popular and effective way to fight a cough. This mixture is applicable for children and adults too. Turmeric and milk are also healthy ingredients needed for healthy living.
2.Jaggery solution: Boil water with black pepper, add cumin and jaggery to it. It will give you relief from chest congestion.
3.Carrot juice: It is not a common home remedy to fight a cold and cough, but carrot juice helps to fight a cough. It may be unconventional but it makes an interesting drink. Drink it to prevent cough and reap the benefits of carrot juice.
4.Gargle therapy: Salt-water gargle is an age-old therapy for cough, but you can also add turmeric to it. Salt and turmeric fight cough and will give you relief that you really need.
5. Honey, lime juice and warm water: Lime water or nimbu pani is a perfect dose to improve digestion and for the circulation system. If you add honey to lime water and warm water it can be a solution to controlling cold and cough.
6.Lemon, cinnamon and honey: Prepare syrup of lemon, honey and cinnamon to prevent a common cold. Here's how to: Put some honey in a pan, fill it to half and use a double boiler until it is thin. Then add a pinch of cinnamon and add lemon. Have this syrup to fight a cold.
7. Saute garlic: Saute a few garlic cloves in ghee and consume this when warm. It may sound like a bitter concoction, but it can help you fight the common cold and cough.
8.Amla for prevention: Amla is a strong immunomodulator and protects from the onset of many diseases if taken regularly. It ensures the proper functioning of the liver and improves blood circulation.
9.Ginger and salt: Cut ginger into julians and add salt to it. Chew on these ginger julians to fight cold, cough and a sore throat.
10. Honey and brandy: Brandy keeps your chest warm or increases body heat, while honey helps fight a cough. A teaspoon of brandy and honey improves cough.
11. Flaxseeds for cold and cough: Boil flaxseeds until it thickens and strain it. Add a few drops of lime juice and honey. Consume the mixture for cold and cough relief.
12. Water: Drink luke warm water to fight a common cold, cough and sore throat. Drinking warm water reduces the inflammation in the throat. Plus, water helps replenish the fluids in the body and washes out the infection.
13. Spicy tea: Add tulsi, ginger and black pepper while preparing your tea. These three ingredients play an important role in fighting a common cold and cough.
14. Ginger tulsi mixture: Take the juice of ginger, crush tulsi leaves to it and add honey. Consume it to get relief from a cough.
15. Milk, turmeric powder and black pepper powder: Take 1 glass of warm milk. Add 1 tsp of turmeric powder and black pepper powder .Mix well and drink 2 times everyday.
16. Ladyfingers or okra
- Take 100 gm ladyfingers or okra
- Cut them into small pieces
- Add them to ½ L hot water
- Heat for 10-15 min
- Inhale the steam coming from the mixture
- This gives relief from dry cough and throat irritation
17. Ginger tea:It helps by drying up a running and dripping nose and expels phlegm from the respiratory tract. Also, ginger is known to soothe a common cold to make it bearable and perhaps even speed up the recovery process.
18. Carom seeds
- crush 1 tbsp carom seeds. Add 1 tsp of turmeric powder in a clean cloth.
- Put 1 tsp of this powder in a clean cloth
- Tie the cloth in a bundle
- Hold this bundle close to your nose and inhale
19. Baking soda for cold: You can also drink warm water with baking soda to make the body more alkaline. When your body is alkaline, it can fight inflammation and infections. You can also gargle with water containing a teaspoon of baking soda and 2 aspirins. Gargle at least 3-4 times a day with this mixture to cure cold, cough and flu immediately.
20. Onion: Onion juice make excellent remedies to cure chest colds quickly.
- Inhaling steam cleans the respiratory tract
- Increase garlic intake as it restricts the growth of the influenza virus